Foster Care and Fos-Adopt Parent Requirements
- Primary and secondary caretakers (the prospective foster parent(s) should be at least 25 years of age and have a mature understanding of their parental skills).
- Home relationships must be stable and everyone living in the home must show an interest in having one or more foster children in the home.
- Must have room in your current household for at least one foster child: No adult can share a room with a foster child...a foster child can share a room with another child as long as their gender and ages are appropriate... only two beds per bedroom...
- All adults in the home, and those you designate as a caretaker (babysitter) living outside the home, must have a clean criminal record and clear a DOJ (Dept of Justice), Child Abuse Index, and FBI report, as well as have a safe driving record - background checks are mandatory (the cost of fingerprinting is an initial out-of-pocket expense for all adults in the home, however, the cost will be reimbursed to the primary and secondary caretaker once the home is certified and after a foster child has been placed in the home for over 30 days - any additional adults in the home are out-of-pocket cost which are not reimbursed).
- Your household income must be equal or exceed your current household expenses. Welfare, SSI or unemployment benefits ARE NOT considered income and can not to be used as such for the purposes of foster care. NOTE: Foster Care payments are not considered income nor should they be counted, as income, towards covering your current household expenses. Foster Care payments are distributed to foster parents for the care and services rendered to the foster children at a basic rate set by the State of California.
- The physical and mental health of caretakers members must be such as to provide continuous supervision, proper care and the ability to understand and carry out the rules and regulations put forth by the County and Agency Social Workers. (These rules and regulations are explained in our classes)
- Your home must be safe, clean and have sufficient space to accommodate one or more foster children. (A class is offered to inform prospective foster parents of what constitutes a safe home and a walk-through of your home is conducted by our agency prior to certification)
- Safe insured transportation must be available to transport foster children to court hearings, visitations, medical appointments and other functions as requested by County personnel. All drivers must have a current valid California Driver's License and a DMV report will be required Adult non-drivers must have a valid state ID.
- You must be open to a team approach for the care of all foster children, cooperating fully with agency rules and regulations, as well as all placement plans recommended by county and ATC social workers.
- The primary and secondary caretaker must complete the entire application process, including 30 hours of pre-certification training, a 6-hour CPR/First Aid Class, an on-line water safety class and must pass a final walk-through of the home based on Title 22 (XXII) safety regulations. (the cost of Live Scan, CPR, and online water safety class are an initial out-of-pocket expense for all adults in the home, however, the cost will be reimbursed to the primary and secondary caretaker once the home is certified and after a foster child has been placed in the home for over 30 days - other adults in the home are out-of-pocket cost which are not reimbursed).
If you have further questions and/or you feel confident that you and those in your household meet the requirements stated above, please fill out our CONTACT FORM. An Alpha representative will contact you within two business days. Or call 951-369-5282.
West Covina Lic #197805881
ALPHA TREATMENT CENTERS
FOSTER FAMILY AGENCY
Where Adoption begins with Foster Care
Foster Care Base Rates as of December 1, 2017
LOC 1 LOC 2 LOC 3 LOC 4 ITFC/MTFC
$923 $1027 $1131 $1235 TBD